Sunday, May 11, 2008

Welcome Ubuntu (Part 2)

The installation process is going smoothly and almost hassle free (refer here for instruction). Very user friendly, everything next ... next ... next ... not sure can go back ... next ... finish and reboot !! I remember my 1st experience installing linux, using RedHat in late 90's (most user friendly at that time) I'm stuck at creating partition. If I'm not mistaken there was no auto creating partition option in that time.

Back to the topic, finish installing the packages and some required setting (timezone, hostname, ip, username and yada-yada), reboot and voila !! Ubuntu is using Gnome as desktop, the system requesting for autoupdate for various packages. There a popup message that give instruction for enable the sytem to install my graphic card driver. I follow the instruction "click System -> Administration -> Hardware driver -> Enable restricted driver". Then the driver automatically installed.

This is good, I dont need to make my hands dirty at the 1st day of using Ubuntu.

I'm playing around the desktop to make myself familiar with the interface.

I open up the terminal

sudo ps ax

to checked the default process and wow !! compiz is run by default. This is good. I googling around to find how to setting up and manage the compiz (I'm crazy about the 3D desktop thingy). I need to install compiz config setting manager.

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

And then I click System > Preferences > Advanced System Effects Settings. There are several plugins installed and running, I just need to add Desktop Cube and Rotate Desktop. By googling around I found a keyboard shortcut for compiz fusion

Desktop Effects Keyboard Shortcuts
Rotate Cube Mousewheel on Desktop
Switcher Alt + Tab
Shift Switcher Super + Tab (2 modes: flip and cover)
Ring Switcher Super + Tab - overrides Shift Switcher
Expo Super + E (toggle)
Film Effect Ctrl + Alt + Down Arrow4
Rotate Cube Manually Ctrl + Alt + Left Mouse Button
Scale Windows Alt + Shift + Up Arrow
Show/Clear Desktop Ctrl + Alt + D (toggle)
Snapping Windows Move a window across workspaces5
Screenshot Super + Left Mouse Button
Zoom In/Out Super + Mousewheel
Transparent Window Alt + Mousewheel
Resize Window Alt + F8
Move Window Alt + F7
Add Helper Super + P
Widget Layer F9 (toggle)
Water Effects Shift + F9 (toggle)
Fire Effects: On Super + Shift + Left Mouse Button
Fire Effects: Clear Super + Shift + C
Annotate: Draw Super + Left Mouse Button
Annotate: Start Super + 1
Annotate: End Super + 3
Group: Select Window(s) Super + S
Group: Group Windows Super + T
Group: Ungroup Windows Super + U
Group: Flip Windows Super + Right or Left Arrow
Note: Super key = Windows icon key

After playing around with the effects, I'm entering my previous NTFS partitions (Note: This machine is dual boot with WinXP and got 2 NTFS partition) and tried play HD Movie with default movie player which is Totem. Wow no problemo !! MP3's file running with Rhytmbox Music Player. What I love is I can preview the MP3's sounds by pointing the mouse pointer to the MP3 files at File Browser !!

Then I tried play 3gp files. Video is ok but no sound. Hmm ... tried using command line to find out what's the problem and this is the output

watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$ totem watthafxk.3gp
** Message: don't know how to handle audio/AMR, codec_data=(buffer)0000001164616d72533630200081800005, rate=(int)8000, channels=(int)1
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|Adaptive Multi Rate (AMR) decoder|decoder-audio/AMR (Adaptive Multi Rate (AMR) decoder)
no application found
** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.
watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$

** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found. This is not good. Googling around to find other 3gp's compatible player. Yeah !! RealPlayer will be my saviour. I downloaded the installation file and run the command as in instruction at several forums and blogs

watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$ chmod a+x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$ ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
bash: ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin: No such file or directory
watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$ sudo ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
[sudo] password for watthafxk:
sudo: unable to execute ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin: No such file or directory
watthafxk@watthafxk-pc:~$


What the fxck !!

Then I googling around about mplayer, still problem with amr ... what the fxck

Trying to get info about vlc player then I found this

samr is the FourCC for AMR (Adaptive Multi-Rate) audio. It is not supported in VLC due to licensing issues. VLC can be compiled with AMR (using FFmpeg compiled with it) however this is not compatible with the GPL due to software patents. - Source


WHAT THE FXCK !!

to be continued ?

No comments: